Mr Neil Simmonite
email@example.com | 01484 472684
- 2014 - to present: Head of Division Podiatry and Clinical Sciences, School of Human and Health Sciences, University of Huddersfield, Queensgate, Huddersfield. HD1 3DH.
- 2012 - 2013: Professional Lead Podiatry and Acting Therapy Services Manager, Therapies Clinical Unit, Integrated Care Division, East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust. Bexhill Hospital, Holliers Hill, Bexhill-on-Sea,East Sussex. TN40 2DZ.
- 2006 - 2012: Senior Lecturer, University of East London. Subject discipline – Podiatric Medicine, Health Policy in Practice, Employability, Management and Leadership in the Public Services (NHS).
- 2004 - 2006: Senior Lecturer University of Southampton. subject Discipline – Podiatric Medicine, Health Policy in Practice, Management and Leadership in the Public Services (NHS).
- 1999 - 2006: Podiatry Services Manager Podiatry Manager of a team merged from Community and Acute NHS Trusts. I led the redesign and change to the service to promote equity and modernisation into a PCT structure across the large geographical area and six organisations.
- 1999: Grampian Health Board Consultant. The reprofiling and service redesign of the Podiatry services within the Health Board of Scotland (UK).
- 1996 - 1999: North Kent Healthcare NHS Trust Thames Gateway NHS Trust. (Podiatry Manager of a team merged from two Community Health NHS Trusts with Mental Health Acute services. I concurrently provided leadership, management, change management, training and development support to the joint service to promote equity and modernisation across the newly merged service).
Prior to 1996, I have held positions with the University of Brighton and with the Hastings, Isle of Wight and Worthing health authorities.
Research and Scholarship
My research and scholarly interests revolve around; the national and international profile and professional practice of podiatry, the Common Learning Framework and podiatry education across the European Union member states, partnerships in education and the role of the podiatrist as a specialist in the healthcare team. I have supervised BSc (Hons) Podiatric Medicine and Masters dissertations.
Publications and Other Research Outputs
Vernon, W., Simmonite, N., Reel, S. and Reidy, S. (2017) ‘An investigation into the cause of the inner dark areas and outer lighter areas (ghosting) seen in dynamically-created two-dimensional
Science and Justice
. ISSN 1355-0306
Potter, J., Borthwick, A., Simmonite, N. and Potter, M. (2002) ‘A collaborative challenge for podiatry’.
In: NHS Evidence into Practice Conference, February 2002, Bristol, UK
Lang, L., Simmonite, N., West, S. and Day, S. (1994) ‘Salicylic acid in the treatment of corns’
, 4 (3), pp. 145-150. ISSN 0958-2592
- 2007 - present: Co-opted Board Member, Directorate of Public Sector Management (Previously: Faculty of Management, Society of Chiropodists and Podiatrists).
- 2008 - present: Elected National Board Member, Society of Chiropodists and Podiatrists.
- 2010 - present: Board Member, International Committee, Society of Chiropodists and Podiatrists.
- 2011 - present: Presidente’, European Council of Podiatry.
- 2011 - present: Member, International Federation of Podiatrists (FIP. www.fip-ifp.org).
- 2012 - present: Chairman, Standing Orders and Scrutiny Committee, Society of Chiropodists and Podiatrists.
- 2012 - present: Professional Conduct Committee, Society of Chiropodists and Podiatrists.
- 2013 - present: Vice President, Society of Chiropodists and Podiatrists.
- 2013 - present: Member Strategic Planning and Implementation Board, Society of Chiropodists and Podiatrists.
- 2014 - present: Board of Trustees, College of Podiatry.
- 2014 - present: Co-opted Member of College of Podiatry Academic Board (CoPAB).
Research Degree Supervision
Governance in podiatry and the health professions. Past projects include:
- Perception of training needs in Podiatry, managers and staff.
- Repetitive strain injury in podiatry - a collaborative project with the the Industrial Relations department of the Society of Chiropodists and Podiatrists.
- Motivation and job satisfaction in podiatry.
- Student perceptions of what makes a good job.
Scholl Research Salicylic acid in the treatment of corns. (1992-1993)
Head of Division, Podiatry and Clinical Sciences (the leadership, management and governance for the Division of Podiatry and Clinical Sciences).
Teaching and Professional Activities
- Research 1 (pending)
- Clinical modules HFP2000-1415 - Clinical Podiatry