firstname.lastname@example.org | 01484 471828
David joined the University of Huddersfield’s Photography BA(Hons) programme in 2010, as a Senior Lecturer in digital photography. Specializing in product lifestyle and brand advertising, David’s early career saw him work on a number of high profile corporate and advertising accounts, before joining Nestle UK as their senior advertising photographer in 1996, which he filled until 2006. Here, David was responsible for producing a broad range of consumer lifestyle and corporate advertising material for brands, such as Kit Kat, After Eight, Perrier and Nescafe. In 2006, David joined Anthem Worldwide a global design agency as a senior creative, working on accounts for Tesco, Coors Breweries, Premier Foods and Nestlé, and others. David’s continued interest in higher education saw him gain a Master of Arts degree (Graphic Arts and Design) from Leeds Metropolitan University (1997-99), followed by a Post Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) from the University of Huddersfield (2008-10) prior to taking up his lecturing post at Huddersfield .
Research and Scholarship
David’s practice based research investigates the globalised nature of advertising constructivism. He is currently exploring the global mirroring of capitalist modes of commodity production as a visual methodology to compare, critique and deconstruct globalism, through neoliberal supply chain economics and the constructed image.
Publications and Other Research Outputs
- Fellow of British Institute of Professional Photographers (BIPP)
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy (HEA)
- Member of Association for Photography in Higher Education (APHE)
Academic advisory bodies
- AQA, Higher Education Expert Panel for Art & Design (2013)
Research Degree Supervision
David is interested in supervising students who have a strong interest in exploring commercial image production processes, as a working methodology to create global narrative and impact within their work.
Areas of research include:
- Commercial practice and live briefs
- Digital data, as image
- Consumerism and advertising media
- Photographic constructivism
- Commodity production and globalism
- 2015: Delphian records - photographic project working collaboratively with Delphian records and Dr. Rupert Till, Chair of International Association for the Study of Popular Music UK and Ireland. Photographing ancient Celtic brass instruments (bronze model of the Tintignac Carnyx) for research, book, exhibition and on-going promotional material.
- 2016: National Union of Students (NUS)- collaborative photographic brief, commissioned by the NUS and The Sharp Agency.The client requiring Photography (BA(Hons) students to produce a series of student focused promotional images for UnionCloud, an online national student portal service platform. Capturing the connection between the physical world and the digital world.
- 2015: Powerhouse (Live Briefs) - industry focused educational photographic projects, introducing photography students to commercial product, food and fashion photography. Working collaboratively with award winning commercial advertising photographers on live client briefs, such as Powerhouse and others.
- Kirklees Our Voice Project - photographic project in partnership with Kirklees Council. Providing promotional and exhibition material for Kirklees ‘Our Voice Project’. A community based program working in partnership with public and voluntary sectors to deliver support and well-being activities to vulnerable adults.
- 2008: The Coors Brewing Company – on pack, advertising and promotional material for high profile brands, such as, Caffrey’s , Sol, Carling and Coors beers.
- 2007: Quorn – on pack food photography for European markets.
- 2007: Tesco – on pack, advertising and promotional lifestyle photography for seasonal product ranges. Including, Halloween, Mother’s Day, garden furniture and outdoor camping ranges.
- 2002: Sainsbury in store promotional point of sale material.
- 1999: KitKat Chunky (The Big Finger) promotional product launch campaign. Advertising, press, TV and ambient photography.
- Pastoral support tutor
- Industry and live brief coordinator
Teaching and Professional Activities
- Module Leader for Photography Process and Workflow (years 1&2)
- Tutor for Major Project (final year)
- Photography BA(Hons) first year tutor
- Course coordinator for British Institute of Professional Photography (BIPP) professional qualification
- Course coordinator for D&AD New Blood Awards