email@example.com | 01484 478283
Qualifications: BA(Hons), PGCE, MA, FHEA
Frances Marsden is a Senior Lecturer in the School of Education and Professional Development where she is Course Leader and Admissions Tutor for the FdA/BA(Hons) Educational Management and Administration course. She teaches on blended learning courses including Foundation Degrees in Educational Administration, Early Years and Leading and Managing the Childrens Workforce, MA in Professional Development, Post Graduate Certificate in Professional Development and the In-service Cert Ed/PGCE (PCET) course. She regularly works in Beijing China on the BEd(Hons) Education in Development.
Having completed an MA in Professional Development Frances is currently concentrating on the dissemination of her research through a variety of media. She was West Yorkshire Life Long Learning Tutor of the Year in 2009. Her prior teaching experiences included Head of Vocational Business Education at Huddersfield New College, having taught Business Studies at a variety of 6th form and FE colleges in the Yorkshire region over many years.
Research and Scholarship
Current Research Interests
- MA Professional Development.
- Processes Influencing the Extending of Learning module researched Challenging the teaching styles of student teachers in China. Investigating the theory of teachers teaching to their own preferred learning style.
- MA dissertation -Evaluation of the impact on the participants and their workplace through professional development on the Foundation Degree in Educational Administration. (2008)
- The development of electronic submission tools for work based projects on foundation degrees.
- Delivered a workshop on electronic submission of assignments a critical evaluation. Teaching and Learning Conference University of Huddersfield (2006)
- The professionalisation of support staff in education, the use of technology to support teaching and learning.
- The role of the personal tutor in work based learning.
- Leadership and management in education.
- The role of the school business manager in the 21st century.
Researching the role of the personal tutor in Higher Education, incorporating:
- Professionalism, Emotional Labour and Empathy
- Employability and the Educational Workforce
- Listening to the voice of children, mechanisms for hearing their voices
Publications and Other Research Outputs
Marsden, F. and Youde, A. (2015) ‘Course management and administration’.
In: Teaching in lifelong learning : a guide to theory and practice. : Open University Press.
. ISBN 9780335263325
Marsden, F., McMahon, S. and Youde, A. (2013) ‘Inter-agency working, observation and assessment’.
In: Safeguarding and Protecting Children in the Early Years. : Routledge.
pp. 165-179. ISBN 9780415527507
Youde, A. and Marsden, F. (2012) ‘Developing a transactional presence amongst adult learners in blended learning contexts: an exploration of the skills, qualities and traits required of the tutor’.
In: EDULEARN12 Proceedings of International Conference on Education and New Learning Technologies. Barcelona, Spain: IATED.
pp. 6334-6342. ISBN 978-84-695-3491-5
Marsden, F. and Youde, A. (2012) ‘Fostering a transactional presence: a practical guide to supporting work-based learners’.
In: Part-Time study: the new paradigm for Higher Education?. Leicester, UK: UALL.
Marsden, F. and Youde, A. (2010) ‘Administration and course management’.
In: Teaching in Lifelong Learning: a guide to theory and practice. Maidenhead: Open University Press.
pp. 230-237. ISBN 9780335234691
Tutor of the Year 2009 WYLLN
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- CPD steering group (Education Leeds)
- West Yorkshire Life Long Learning Network
- Tutor of the Year 2009 West Yorkshire Life Long Learning Network
- UALL Employer engagement / CPD Network
Other External Work
- School Governor, Park Lane High School, Halifax (safeguarding representative).
- External member of validation panel for MSc Cognitive Behaviour Psychotherapy 2, University of Huddersfield, School of Human and Health Sciences, February 2009.
- Panel member for the In-service Certificate in Education (Post Compulsory Education and Training) and In-service Professional Graduate Certificate in Education (Post Compulsory Education and Training) Re-approval Event, Thomas Danby FE College, Leeds, March 2007.
- Module leader in BEd(Hons) Education in Development. Communication and Information Technology for Teaching and Training Beijing USA College of English
- (2011) Stirling University, International conference : Developing a transactional presence
- (2009, 2010) The role of the school business manager in the 21st century. Professional development and progression conference for support staff in Schools (Education Leeds)
- (2009) Interactivity in HE, teaching using voting pads. Teaching and Learning Conference, University of Huddersfield
- (2006) English culture. Beijing USA College of English.
- (2006) Conversion from work experience to masters level qualification. FDF Progression conference, University of East Anglia Norwich
- Panel member for the ODUPLUS video conferencing revalidation event for Huijia China.
- Panel member for the ODUPLUS video conference for validation of International Marketing in Hong Kong.
Masters in Professional Development Human Resources and Teams and Early Years Professionalism.
Teaching Communication and Information Technology for Teaching and Training module of B.ED (Hons) in Beijing China
Current Research Supervision
(2009) How can the needs of stakeholders within early years transition effectively compliment each other to produce a quality transition process?
(2009) Organisational Learning within SMEs
(2009) Listening to the Childrens voice.
Completed MA Supervision
(2010) An analysis of the impact and effectiveness of strategic approaches to successfully implementing imposed change in a local authority service.
(2010) A journey form unacceptable provision to good: An exploration of the link between support staff team work and their attitudes towards inclusion on pupil achievement at a large inner city primary school.
Further information is available about Research Topics and Supervision within the School of Education and Professional Development.
- Educational Management and Administration BA Hons (part time)
- Human Resource Development and Training BA Hons (full time international)
Admissions tutor for above courses
- Leadership and Management in Educational Contexts
- Exploring Leadership and Management in Educational Organisations
- Years 1, 2 & 3 Childhood Studies Course
- International HRD&T Leadership and Management in Educational Contexts
- Year 1 Childhood Studies Course
- Year 1, 2 & 3 Educational Management and Administration Course
Learning Set Tutor:
- Post Graduate Certificate Higher Education
Placement and Employability Tutor:
- Childhood Studies BA (Hons)