We seek to ensure that our research achieves impact – the demonstrable contribution to society and the economy made by knowledge and skilled people. To deliver this, we engage and collaborate with the public, business, government and the third sector.
- Nurture the highest quality research that advances knowledge and understanding across all sectors of the economy and society, as judged by international peer review;
- Carry out research that has a focus on social, economic, cultural, scholarly or scientific impact, the value of which is recognised by the external community through support from funders and users of research;
- Produce research outcomes that have a major, visible impact and showcasing them through the media and our website to benefit regional, national and international stakeholders, as well as society at large;
- Exchange knowledge and ideas with business and professional partners, especially through effective use of communications, to make sure as much of our best research as possible is translated into powerful policies, services and products;
- Conduct research that underpins high-quality teaching and learning, equipping our students with the intellectual and practical skills they need in an increasingly competitive employment market.
- Global research requires that we sustain a diversity of funding approaches, fostering international collaborations, and providing access to the best facilities and infrastructure, and locating skilled researchers in stimulating environments.
We provide strategic advice and practical guidance based on rigorous research, informed by industry and community members. We use advocacy and public engagement as pathways to our impact.
If we involve and listen to the public, and encourage our researchers to do likewise, then our decisions and research should be more responsive to society. A dialogue between the research community and the public about the implications and applications of research will help to ensure that society can benefit more fully. Benefits from this knowledge can impact on the health, wealth and culture of a society.
We seek to:
- Recognise and respond to public views
- Embed public engagement alongside research and value it as an important activity
- Enable society to value and have confidence in our research – both the processes we follow and outputs
- Encourage our researchers to engage with the public
For examples of our research impact, please see pages 54 - 57 of the GDRC 2021 Annual Report